Search Nomads

10 Jul 2012

Strangford

As part of a week-long trip that took Ken and me to the Irish Fly Fair at Killyleagh and then to Carlingford lough (please see below), I also fished Strangford. I found it a remarkably tough week, though I did see fish and even saw two really good sea-trout one evening, leaping as dusk fell. (That is, the fish were leaping. I was sitting on a rock somewhere and turning into some weird creature from a Beckett play.) I fished for four straight days without moving anything significant, but eventually, after sheer mumbling insanity had set in, I did catch one - 18-and-a-half inches (probably around 2.5lb.) and in absolutely pristine condition. The fish disgorged what I think was a three-spined stickleback before being released, so why it took a shrimp-suggesting artificial pattern is beyond me. And yes, of course I tried baitfish-resembling fly patterns.... The sea-trout ignored those just as they ignored everything else. Below are some pertinent images.



No comments:

Post a Comment