Search Nomads

8 Jul 2010

Killyleagh and Strangford


I (CBMcC) spent much of the past week at Strangford lough in Northern Ireland, enjoying tremendous hospitality and occasionally having a cast over sea-trout in and around Strangford. The Killyleagh Fly Fair was held last weekend in the village of Killyleagh, an hour's drive south of Belfast: there were fly-tying demonstrations, casting clinics and talks. The shot shows the location for the casting clinics: the front lawn at Killyleagh Castle. I even took a lesson myself from that wonderful fly-caster and teacher Marc Fauvet, who endeavoured to correct my general limp-wristedness and sagginess. ('Bit late for that, Chris,' cries my reader. To which I respond that one lives in hope, if only of tighter loops to come....)
Incidentally, while we're on about line-speed, I wickedly used the opportunity of the Fly Fair to treat myself to a new Hardy Marksman Drifter 10-foot 6-weight, and gave it a fairly thorough trial on the lough. Fierce dear - but worth every penny. It's probably the best, most versatile rod I've ever used for Irish sea-trout, and would handle summer salmon admirably, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment